Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Famous Last Words: Chaotic First Week of School

(Scales of Justice: Public Domain Pictures)

My favorite reading this week definitely had to be the Jataka Tales. I liked the collection of stories because they were not too long, so they were fairly easy to follow and read. Even though each story was short, each theme was very apparent and left a strong impression, which is totally my style. I really have a hard time reading prose that has hidden theme just because I am not that skilled when it comes to dissecting written works.

Overall, I am really enjoying this course. It is a nice change of pace from my heavily math and science based classes, and I like how I can learn and do the assignments freely.

In other news, this week was very chaotic, as the first week of the first semester always is. What was even more chaotic was those two young ladies that decided to post a Snapchat video of them doing blackface and mocking the Black-American community. That definitely took up a large portion of my social media timelines for awhile. From what I hear, they initially seemed to have no true punishment, but President Gallogly sent out an email earlier today stating the two ladies' expulsion. Now, I am not sure exactly what happened for administration to change their minds, but I do in some way support their expulsion. Although I wish there was a more rehabilitative method to address the issue, I have a hard time seeing the full effectiveness of such rehabilitation, so expulsion was probably the most immediate and responsive solution to get rid of the racial ignorance. However, I did see a humorous idea for a solution on Twitter, which I actually thought of too, which was have the two ladies explain themselves in front of the Black-American community at OU. A part of me just thought it would be funny, but I actually do wonder how the young ladies would respond to being in a room full of people that they were belittling. I really wonder if that would be an effective way to resolve racial ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment